Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Original Muse and Inspiration

Yesterday was an emotional day for me. It was my mother's 75th birthday. Usually, birthdays are a happy occasion. And I'm sure that for her, it was a wonderful birthday. You see, my mom passed away December 30, 2006 from a heart attack at the age of 69. So yes, it was a great birthday for her! She got to celebrate with Jesus. :) For those of us left here, it was a roller coaster of emotions kind of day. While I am thrilled that she gets to celebrate the best way possible and be completely pain free, I was still extremely sad that I could not be there with her or vis versa. I miss her terribly and it kills me that she can't be here but I am very glad that she is much happier and no longer sick. It helps me to remember her and how much she has influenced me in every aspect of my life, especially my parenting and my crafting. And that is what this blog is about.

(This is the last picture I ever got of my moma. It was at our wedding.)


Not to really get into a long drawn out explanation on my life (that would take a much longer blog LOL), I was adopted by my maternal grandmother, which explains her age (yea, you know you wondered about that, most ppl do). That being said, she was a very creative person. She painted, crocheted, sewed, drew, etc. I grew up watching her do these things and learning from her. Thanks to her, I used to make doll clothes from scraps at my aunts house. She helped me make my first apron for a 4H project. She taught me to draw and paint, using so much patience to help me get it. She taught my cousin and me to crochet a blanket when my cousin broke her ankle. I still have both baby doll blankets I crocheted when I was little. To this day, I still have two of her paintings. Here are pics of them.



I still remember her painting these. :)

This wonderful woman is my original muse and an inspiration to keep going when my crafts might get a bit much. Every time I sit at my sewing machine (which was hers as well. i sure love that old piece of machinery), every time i pick up a needle, or a drawing pencil, or anything crafty or artsy, I think about her. About how she worked so hard to raise me properly, to give me a love for life, for art, crafts, family, and especially God. She never told me I couldn't do something; she always told me to work hard, trust God, and I could accomplish anything I want. I remember that during the hardest times in life and it helps so much. She instilled in me such a love and passion for creating things, it can not be extinguished. I love it. And I truly hope she can look down on me and see what I am doing with the talent and teaching she has passed down on me and that I am passing it on to my kids when they show interest.

This has been a more personal blog but I love to know where people's inspiration comes from so I hope you have enjoyed reading it.

4 comments:

  1. Your mother's paintings are beautiful. She was extremely talented. I think it's great for you to keep that connection with her through your crafting. My father-in-law passed suddenly of a massive heart attack Dec. 17 of '08, he was 65...our youngest was only 2 months old. It's a very difficult time of year to lose someone, but yes, knowing that he celebrated Christmas in Heaven somehow made it a tiny bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Alana (Lane). I love her so much and everyday that passes I love her more and respect things she taught me. Although she didn't raise me from birth, and I only had a very few short years with her, she is the #1 and ONLY person that I can remember encouraging me to make the best out of life. "Don't let obstacles in life hold you back from doing what you want. Pray about it and have Faith in God and everything will work out." I remember those words every time life starts to get too overwhelming. I WISH that I had more time with her. I look at my boys and remember what an AWESOME parent she was and I aspire to be more like her. I know she would have been proud to know that I turned my life around compared to the way I was raised.
    I love you Lane and your girls just as much. Xander always says, "I love you as deep as the ocean, as wide as the sea, as much as the stars/heaven/universe and all the way up to the end of my life!" and that is exactly how I feel about you and the girls. I needed these awesome words to remember Grandma. I have felt sad and depressed because I miss her so, but now that I know how you keep her memory alive, I WILL TRY TO DO THAT AS WELL! Lots of Love Lane! XOXOXOXOXOX

    Renea (NEA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I hear what you feel and learn what you think I am always so proud to be your husband. Words cant express how proud I am to be her daughter's husband, because for the short time I knew her she saw potential in me when everyone else saw a troublemaker. I love that pic of her because you can see how proud of both of us she was. I'll never be the same since I met her and her daughter. In a lot of ways I feel like she's is still here watching over us and Alana acts like her sometimes without realizing it. ;) I have and will continue to be understanding and comforting to Alana whenever she misses her momma. After all, she left her in my care. And so that is how I honor this great woman that became a mother to me in only a short time. I still miss her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like a wonderful mother. You are lucky to have had her in your life to teach you so much.

    ReplyDelete